Monday, June 26, 2006

Sex Offenders

I guess this would be another group of people we could put in my "camps". The state of Georgia tried to pass a law that would make it illegal for a registered sex offender to live withing 1,000 feet of a school or a bus stop and since buses stop in front of every house nowadays it would make it impossible for sex offenders to live in any urban or suburban area. I have mixed feelings over our country's treatment of sex offenders. As a parent, I see the need to keep sex offenders away from children and to inform parents of any possible sex offenders that live in the area, but now that some sex offenders have been killed by people who found where they lived from information provided by local police agencies that was posted on the internet don't we have an obligation to protect these poeple from other so called "predators"? I have a problem with the expression "predators". I think sex offender expresses what these people are quite nicely without giving them a title for the purposes of expressing the connotation that goes with the meaning sex offender. Our society is becoming a society of predators that hunts sex offenders. You dont' see the addresses of convicted murderers posted on the internet. You don't see any white collar criminals posted on the internet and that's the information I want to know. If I'm applying for a job, I should be able to easily find any information on the company, provided by the police, to see if anyone has pulled an Enron. I want to know if my future 401k will be in the hands of a bunch of crooks- wouldn't you? If I'm moving into a neighborhood, I want to know if my neighbors have killed anyone. If I have a really nice car, why can't I find out if any of my neighbors have stolen a car? I'm not comparing the damages that can be done by these crimes to sex offender crimes. The loss of a car is trivial compared to what could happen to my children. I wanted to compare the rights of all people involved including the criminals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home